The Jason Walker Interview
Published Sunday, March 12, 2006 by midnight lounge | E-mail this post
In the dance community, it's always said that, when Junior is good, he's phenomenal. With this in mind, how does it feel to be a part of something so strong right out of the gate...
Well...to be perfectly honest, and I tell everyone this, to have been able to work with Junior has been a total dream come true---he's the master---everyone knows this!
He is a master, for sure!
YES HE IS!!
I like that you're honest about marketing the first single "My Life" with Junior's name attached. I've always said that "you've gotta have a gimmick" to get yourself noticed. Where does your strength to persevere in a the music biz come from?
For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to b a singer/performer. I grew up in the church choir, did plays and musicals throughout junior and high school, and got into every talent show that I could find in and around the Pittsburgh area. my love for dance music and soul music as a whole has always been. its like there is an innate desire to succeed. sometimes I feel like my drive will be my downfall---if that makes any sense---it is always with me, always on my mind, I go to sleep, dream, and wake up with it. at times it can even be a little annoying. I have always wanted to share my music, my voice, as weird as it is, with people.
I think passion is what you need to persevere. Your background tells a good story...I like that. This is My Life just came out, though you had hoped for an October release. I can only imagine how difficult it was to get the album released when dance music sales are not at their prime. Was it an uphill battle getting all the signatures needed to release?
Yes and no. The album took a lot longer to finish than we had hoped. everything changes with this business. song choices, decisions, direction--everything. so it took longer to complete. we didn't want to just throw a record together on the heels of our first hit just to get something out. it had to be right, a journey, complete--it had to make sense which called for "the right everything"--the right songs most of all, and if it had not taken this long, we wouldn't have the songs that we ended up with--so yes it was frustrating at times, and yesIi wanted to pull my hair out at times, but now that it is finished and now whenIi look back--it was all for the best.
The dance music genre has seen a stifling change in the last few years. Labels shutting their doors, artists not having an outlet for their music, yet you were one of the lucky ones. Again, do you attribute this to your perseverance?
Yes, I do, but most of the credit goes to Junior and my manager Arlene Weiss, because they pushed for me and believed in me. Junior gave me a chance when no one else would.
And for that, we love him more. a'right - enough of the heavy questions: Who's on your DJ wishlist to rerub your material?
Well...Danny Tenaglia for one, Sasha, I would love to work with Hani again, Farley and Heller, Angel Moraes, Manny Lehman, Oakey, Tiesto, just to name a few.
Yeah - Hani tore it up with "Foolish Mind Games." There's a lot of drama in your music. Would the same be said about your life?
There is always drama when you talk about the music business, but my personal life is pretty low-key
Are you watching Idol? It's the men to watch this season, I think. Chris Daughtry oozes sex and Elliott, well, it's all about that voice. But I'm still lovin' Paris, Mandisa & Katherine. Who are you speed dialing?
I don't watch Idol, so sorry, but I never miss the reruns of Roseanne. I am devoted to her.
She is great actually...I like that she embraced the gay community early on and made statements when it wasn't as cool to do so.
She's the best.
You've had a chance to meet some of your idols. Who didn't fit the impression you had made prior to the meet?
Those are my best kept secrets and shall remain forever nameless!!
So no dish?
Not on Sundays
Fine - Today (March 12th) is a national holiday. Liza turns sixty today. Will you celebrate?
I will have a beer for her!!!
So Pittsburgh is where you grew up. Was it a stifling area for a male vocalist with the pipes of "full-figured soul singer?"
Pittsburgh was...
You've accomplished a feat typically reserved for the female black singer; capturing the attention of gay men on the dance floor. How did you do it?
I have no idea how i do it! I do think that some people r a little confused about me. some people don't think that its me singing--they are confused--they don't know what's going on----"is he singing?" I get that a lot.
Being frank about your sexuality has made it a non-issue. Have you had to overcome any stumbling blocks to get to where are now?
I have, and iI will continue to have to. That is my reality, and I know this. For me it really is a non-issue I'm just a singer. That's really it. Just a singer.
Perhaps Hollywood can learn a thing or two...
maybe...
Are you dating right now?
Not at the moment---too busy.
...so what's your type?
I don't have a type--- if you do it for me---you do it for me.
That's cool - refreshing perspective!
really?
Yeah - I think the boys get so caught up on big muscle profiles and Lucas porn stars, ya know? Hell, sex sells though...
Yes, most of the time. But there are exceptions. It's cool, when it's cool.
Who would you say is hot right now?
Hot, physically, hot musically?
That's really open to your interpretation.
Point me in some direction!
what actor has your attention?
Ummmm.......lets see. Boris Kodjoe---from Soulfood on Showtime.
I didn't know any better! I just googled 'em....wow!
I know, amazing!
ha ha ha - yeah, nothing better than a great face. cute as hell!
Yes. He is beautiful
Do you frequent any blog sites?
you know--not many--I need to start
That's alright - you can start with midnight lounge. What can we expect in '06 from you?
Well lets see.....a new album, Quentin Harris is going to produce my next album. we start April. touring nationally and internationally, and MUSIC--MORE MUSIC to bounce to.
Will you be hitting the Winter Music Conference?
Yes I willI--I am actually doing a show with Quentin down there for his album release party. We did a cover of After 7's "Can't Stop" for his record.
We'll have to get you booked for a gig here in Rochester...
I would love to come to Rochester! Make it happen baby!
Okay, here are some quick question word associations. Who owned 2005; Mimi or Madonna?
Mimi
Gabrielle (a personal favorite of mine that I read you dig too.)
I live for her. "Rise" was an amazing record, "Sunshine" was the best. Do you know that one?
Yes. it was. wow. someone else gets it. thank god. "Sunshine" is a great track.Patti Labelle:
THE QUEEN. the one and only. One of my idols.
Jody Watley:
Love her---"Some Kind Of Lover." My mom had it on a 45.
Ha ha - that's great....I think I had it too. A'right - and lastly, what's on your ipod that would surprise readers?
Toni Childs
Olive
7 Stitches
Rachelle FarrellLara Fabian
...and of course---Kristine W---my idol
Kristine W is a phenomenon! I just Q&A'd Scumfrog, who is working with Kristine on the DJs Are Alive project - have you heard much of their stuff?
Yes its amazing.